Skip to main content

Podcasts I Love



I am not an auditory learner. I like to read and write, and I learn best by sitting in the front of the class, reading the chapters I'll  be quizzed on, and answering the study questions for practice. So when a friend of mine told me she likes to listen to podcasts while she's doing chores around the home, my first inclination was, "well, I can't do that. I wouldn't be able to pay attention". I thought my visual stimulation would take over and cloud the audio, and I wouldn't be able to keep up. 

After awhile, she convinced me to try one out. I also found out that Stefan was listening to a favorite pastor of ours on a weekly podcast he signed up for. Since I'm an information junkie, I was totally hooked after one stretch of 37 minutes. I had always hated radio personalities, I found their conversation uninteresting and a waste of my time. Once I found podcasts that were relevant to me, then I was hooked. Why yes, I would love to hear interviews about scientists, authors, and creators seen through the lens of spirituality. You know, especially while I'm folding underwear and stuffing socks into pairs. 

*NPR's ON BEING with Krista Tippett - This podcast comes out every Wednesday and has a wide gamut of interviewees. Krista has a lovely radio voice and asks great questions to her guests. They are usually (not always) scientists, religious workers, activists, and artists who talk about their view of spirituality and the world. It's very different week to week and I always learn something. 

*Inspired to Action podcast - The host of this show is Kat Lee, who is a mom and a blogger and writes mostly about goals, encouragement, and the home with a can-do attitude. She has an interview every week, and because of the time, often 35-45 minutes, this is my weekly bike podcast. I hop on my spinning bike for the entire podcast and get a workout in while listening. The topics are always interesting to me, helpful, and upbeat. 

*The Art of Simple with Tsh Oxenreider is another favorite. This is a completely frivolous podcast that I like to listen to in bits and spurts while doing things like laundry or dishes. Tasks that are otherwise boring or tedious, become fun with a silly reward like this. I love Tsh's two blogs, The Art of Simple, and Tsh Oxenreider.com, and she just talks with her friends, a slew of about 20 different co-hosts, on this blog about silly stuff, things their reading, movies they are watching, parenting adventures, and what's going on in their lives. 

*Lincoln Berean Sermons - Stefan and I went to this church back in Lincoln when we were first married. While we attended the college hour and not 'big church', which the sermons are from, we love to listen to these every week. The sermon series are always on a book of the bible (for as many weeks as it takes) but it also is very topical and easy to digest and follow along. There is a certain sermon I listen to, Bryan Clark's "Grace At Home" that I listen to once a year. It's that good that I have it on the calendar every February. 

*Brain Burps with Katie Davis - This is the last podcast that I've come across that I've started listening to. Katie Davis is a children's author, and a 'writerpreneur', helping her writing and her business connect. I listen to this because I find the tips of the trade, the interviews with others in the market, and the topics relevant to what I'm currently working on in my free time, kid-lit. This podcast can get quite long at times, so I take it in little spurts, but it's been very helpful to learn some things about traditional publishing that I didn't know about before, and getting to know a bit of the community of children's writers, editors, and publishers. 

I wanted to share some of my favorite podcasts with you, ones I try to hit every week. What I'm also interested in, though, is getting the links of podcasts YOU all like. Once you've read, leave me a link with your favorite podcast. What do you like about it? Let's Little Free Library it--you take one, you give one. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for sharing! I've listened to Kat Lee and Tsh before, but hadn't heard of the others :) Been looking for good podcasts with a baby on my hands.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron