Skip to main content

28 Before 29...what *actually* happened



Taken while hiking in the fall at Campbell Valley in Langley. This was my Canadian version of the " I HEART NY " meme. 


For the last number of years I have stolen Sarah Von's awesome idea to create a list of fun things to do before my next birthday (scroll down, bottom right on her site), and I love the intentionality it gives me. I'm rarely bored. There are times when I'm in between books and projects that I feel restless, but when I write down a tangible list of activities I want to try, places I want to explore, or items I want to make, the anxiety of boredom fizzles away and I have a goal.


In the words of my son's favorite show, Phineas & Ferb, "Ferb, I know what we're gonna' do today!"

Most years I follow through with over half. Other years, like this year, I'm closer to target. It's all fun and games, so it's not something to beat myself up over if I don't reach All The Things, it's just a way I can track what I learned, tried, and experienced in the past year.

I had a great list this year because it was our first full year living in Washington state, with plenty of places to explore here and north of the border. Tack on a family or two vacation, and we had a lot of fun experiences to look forward to and enjoy. I finished 20 of those 28, and the 21st is still ongoing. Hey! Learning to skateboard 10 years too late is a little taxing!

 The highlights of this year were going sailing, walking on the Capilano suspension bridge, trying fish and chips, learning to fishtail Ani's hair, riding on a ferry, going to a concert (Ani Difranco in Vancouver!), seeing the tulips, and biking around Stanley Park.

What didn't make my year were these:

* Watch "Of Gods and Men". This was year two. I think I'm giving up on it.

* Make a maxi skirt for myself. This might be year two, as well. I have designs drawn. My machine has made so many kids clothes this year, but I have still chickened out using up lots of fabric for myself.

*Sew a turban headband. I still want to follow through on this. My latest sewing kick has just recently come back, but my machine's in the shop right now.

* Buy a new camera! I'm rethinking this, mostly because I can't imagine hauling a huge, amazing, expensive camera every time we go outside and play (and get really dirty). Since technology has come along way in the past 5 years, I'm considering buying an awesome -but-mini camera. Right now my camera money is going to Portland!

*Make a set of napkins & tablecloth. This idea just bored me when I looked at it. No motivation.

*Get a bouquet of flowers at Seattle's Pike Place Market. We never have made it down to Seattle, but our day is coming (with Amtrak! stay tuned...). It seems a little silly to me that our only time in Seattle in the past 365 days, when we live two hours away, was to stop at Chipotle on our way home from Nebraska.

*Make chocolate-chip meringues a la Giada. This is (hopefully) happening today. I have all the ingredients, and nothing on the calendar!

 /// Stay tuned 29 Before 30 is coming up soon! ///

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron