Skip to main content

2015 Book List

  Playing in the sand during a cold but clear day in White Rock

Although I like to take some time to personally reflect on the past year, New Years' is never something I overly celebrate or pursue as a Big Day for Goal Setting. I love a fresh, new year, but I prefer to do my goal setting around my birthday (29, 28), and keep it fun and for the most part, doable. I'm a big believer not in resolutions, but in the small, baby-step disciplines every day that lead to achieving goals.
The lists I really love to make though, and inevitably add to, every first week of January, is a book list. I keep a pen and paper list in my notebook, but I like having it listed here, too, for memory sake, and to perhaps give you guys some good titles to pass on. 

I NEVER can cross off everything on my booklist. I loose interest, I re-prioritize, and I find books newly published that I'm dying to read. I have also enjoyed keeping a visual running tab on pinterest via my Bookshelf board. Looking back, I realize I only read 15 out of my original 34 on my 2014 book list. I actually ended up reading 57 books, so I don't consider myself behind one bit! I keep my actual list small, and my expectations lower. I'm sure the only reason I read so many books this year than in years past was because it was my chosen form of escapism (we had a somewhat pitiful year), and entertainment, free from the library. Here's to 2015, and a great list of books!

*All the Money in the World by Laura Vanderkam (current read)
*Yes, Please by Amy Poehler
*50 Women Every Christian Should Know by Michelle DeRusha
*The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown and Daniel Brown
*Autobiography of A Face by Lucy Grealy
*Walking With God Through Pain and Suffering by Tim Keller (next up)
*Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls
*Leadership Education by Olivier deMille (half-way through)
*The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
*The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
*A Circle of Quiet by Madeline L'Engle
*The Family Who Couldn't Sleep by D.T. Max
*Garlic & Sapphires by Ruth Reichl
*Packing for Mars by Mary Roach
*Lila by Marilynne Robinson
*True Spirit by Jessica Watson
*A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle (just found for $1 at the thrift store! yay!)
*Chasing Francis by Ian Morgan Cron
*Eight Twenty Eight by Larissa Murphy
*The Writing Life by Annie Dillard
*The Lost Girls by Jennifer Bagget
*Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
*The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt
*The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
*All Joy and No Fun by Jennifer Senior
*Teach Your Children Well by Madeline Levine
*Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
*Rising Strong by Brene Brown (Thanks, Modern Mrs. Darcy!)

Those aren't all, of course, and so many from last year that I didn't get to will remain in my notebook and on my 'proper' list. These are the 27 that are at the top of my list, though, and I hope to finish Vanderkam's tonight, Tim Keller's this week, and Amy's the week after that. It's a book lover's delight. 

What are the top 5 books you are dying to read this year?

Comments

K E Fleck said…
Wait, a new Brene Brown? I have to go add this to my wish list. Thanks!

Sarah M said…
Kara, I *just* saw this on Modern Mrs. Darcy this morning and quickly added it myself!

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron