Skip to main content

15 in 2015....What Happened, and What Didn't

view from Ft. Langley bridge of Brae Island's chapel

For many years I've set up some sort of a yearly list of things to do. They're sometimes small, sometimes big, sometimes silly, but always things I just want to make a little bit of space and thought to do and 'name it', if you will. I got 1/2 done on my 2015 list, but in my defense, I planned it around my birthday, which means I only gave myself 9 months in 2015, not 12. I'll have a new '16 in 2016' list soon, but for now, here's what happened, and what didn't. See the original list HERE

I'll start and link to what did actually happen:

I got professional family photos done, I wrote an actual Christmas letter and sent it to family, I *tried* turning Ani's bone & shell collection (it didn't look as great as it did in my head...) into artwork, hiked Deep Cove/Quarry Rock with my family, watched The Sound of Music with my kids, baked Confetti Cookies, and my 'intentionally left blank?', I did that too. I tried snorkeling

What didn't happen? 

I didn't get around to taking the family on a drive-in movie date. I actually researched our local option a number of times, but the summer viewings were just so late (9 or 10PM start time) and that just was too much of a detainer for our family. Maybe next year? or maybe when they're teens. 

I didn't sew a triangle skirt or headband. I thought about it a few times. I looked on pinterest a time or two. Not much else. 

I didn't make 'sweet treats' hairclips for Ani and my nieces but I am DEFINITELY putting this on the 2016 list. I thought about it a lot, often when we were nowhere near home. I still want to do this. I still think it'd be a really fun, easy, and adorable craft. 

We haven't got a dog...YET... stay tuned...

I didn't purchase or create driftwood art, but I did collect my driftwood. Step 1 done, but steps 2-4, not done. Sad face. I still love the style. 

I didn't purchase a Giving Key necklace because they went up a LOT in price. What gives, Giving Keys? The Canadian dollar being about 35% lower than the US dollar also made this a lower priority. If a necklace is $70, I have to pay $100? Nope. 

I didn't make a Calligraphy print for our home. I realized that our home is already getting full enough with prints/artwork, though I DID learn and practice Calligraphy, which was a huge step in the right direction. 

I didn't make a Ship&Shape inspired necklace. I have been on the lookout but haven't seen any store locally that sells beads that look similar to these, which is half the battle of making this craft. Harumph. 

So, even though I only did half this list, I still tried for others, which I define as successful, as well. I'm excited to start a new year, I always am. I find pleasure in 'naming' activities, experiences, or crafts I want to do by myself or with my family, and tracking them helps me enjoy them even more. (Gretchen Rubin would be so proud of me.) Blessings on your New Year as well! What will you try for in 2016?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron