Skip to main content

Hikes with Kids: Elk Mountain. Almost.


Well, as if the title weren't clear, we were unable to complete this hike but we will conquer it at some point!

Elk Mountain is quite a bit outside of Chiliwack in the boonies. You go past the city, past the last neighborhood, and a solid 10 miles through the mountain farms before getting to the lower edge of the trail. This view above was taken on our way down the dirt road just a short ways from the parking area to start the trail! What a view already, huh?! It was too gorgeous not to snap, and I'm glad I did because I didn't get any other photos....hopefully when we've ascended the mountain I'll have another one or two to add.

This hike is definitely off the beaten path but that doesn't stop it from being popular. When we arrived in the afternoon at the trail head (our first mistake-not going in the morning!) there were at least 20 cars parked. The trail is 7km round trip (just under 5 miles) and is heavy on the ascent, so we knew it'd be harder than Buntzen lake, though just a little less distance-wise. Distance doesn't necessarily mean anything, though, it's all about how steep it is because that slows you down, and let me say, this was a steep hike! We were on this hike for about 90 minutes going up, and then about 40 on the way down, if that tells you anything! I felt like I was on a stair stepper most of the way.

The reasons we did not decide to get to the end felt logical at the time: 

1) It was getting dark in the woods because of cloud covering, and even though the sun wasn't setting for another two hours, I felt a little uncomfortable trying to get down that steep of a trail if it got any darker...with kids
2) It was extremely cold the further up we went and my son was unprepared clothing-wise wearing just a t-shirt and shorts. If he would have packed even a long-sleeved t-shirt or a hoodie to put over top, this wouldn't have been a factor, but because of the cloud-covering we were producing sweat and having goose-bumps...not a good thing, especially for kids!
3) I was tired from the day and I'm at my peak (see what I did there?) for hikes during morning; I didn't have my normal energy
4) Stefan was battling a cold and didn't feel great

Looking back, I think we could have pressed on, but we probably made a good decision for that day. I am a huge gut-truster and my gut was telling me to turn around, so we did. I hate not finishing something, it leaves a bit of a sour feeling. It's unsatisfying to quit half-way though the reasons for turning around were good ones and I'm sure we'll head back soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron